If you suffer from seasonal allergies you might want to consider visiting an acupuncturist. The goal of the acupuncturist is to develop a plan which addresses the person’s acute symptoms and provides relief, while addressing the underlying immune system imbalance which is thought to be at the root of the person’s allergies.
Symptoms of Seasonal Allergies
- Watery eye
- Nasal congestion
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Postnasal drainage
- Ear congestion
- Itchy sinuses, throat, eyes, or ear canals
- Adenoid swelling -this occurs when the lymph tissue that line the back of the throat swells
- Dark circles under the eyes – caused by swelling and discoloration from congestion of small blood vessels beneath the skin in the eye area.
If your symptoms are persistent and last for more than two weeks you should see your allergist or an acupuncturist for proper testing, diagnosis and treatment. Finding and treating the source of your suffering can also clear up other unwanted symptoms. Less common symptoms may include: headache, shortness of breath, coughing, or wheezing.
Decreasing Your Spring Allergy Triggers:
- Try to stay indoors whenever the pollen count is high – Pollen levels tend to peak in the morning
- When the day is windy, pollen can counts surge
- Vacuum often and clean air filters regularly
- Keep your doors and windows closed to keep allergens out, and use an air purifier
- Wash bedding and rugs in hot water to eliminate dust mites and other allergens
- Shower, and change clothing after going outside to wash away pollen
If these steps still don’t provide any relief, and before you turning to over-the-counter antihistamines, decongestants, nasal sprays and eye drops speak with your healthcare practitioner to discuss all your options for treatment; including acupuncture.
Acupuncture treatment plans for allergies will vary greatly from person to person. The possible results will range from temporary relief to complete remission. Acupuncture frequently relieves nasal congestion and sneezing as soon as the needles are inserted.
If you suffer from seasonal allergies please contact our Registered Acupuncturist for more information on how she can help with your allergy symptoms.